Wednesday 30 October 2013

Time to Answer the Call?

I feel pretty bad about Apple's' profits being down from 8.2 billion to 7.5 billion this quarter from the same period last year.  Billion? Did you say profit of 7.5 billion? Do you mind!

I guess I haven't been doing my bit. I mean I was not one of the 9 million (and no this is not just me exaggerating- cause 9 million is like "my" number. If I happen to exaggerate to make a point (hardly ever) I say something like- this is going to cost me 9 million dollars, or I tried this 9 million times and it still doesn't work) people to have purchased one of the new iphone 5C or the deluxe 5S during the first weekend they were available. Well that may change. But darn it all, I missed this:

From the New York Times- Apple employees greeting customers in California. Look they are getting high-fived!
I actually don't have a cell phone- not at all, nothing.  Sometimes clients will ask me to text them when their deal is closed and when I say sorry, I don't text on account of I don't have a cell phone they are, (as maybe you are) AGHAST! How can you, a super cool, modern woman and awesome lawyer, (I'm pretty sure that's how they see me), not have a cell phone?

I have thought about it from time to time but have thought- I'm at the office or at home 90% of the time and those other times, well Mr. Lovely has a  mobile phone so if one of our kids needs us he can be reached- so why bother. Mr. L is a tekkie guy- he is always up on the latest release of whatever- that's how I got my iPad- Mr. L's reject when he upgraded to the iPAd5. (It's only a matter of time before he upgrades to the iPad Air and I get the 5- just saying). So he is encouraging me to definitely get the iPhone 5S and he forwarded me David Pogue's (when he was still with the Times, boo hoo we will miss you)review and assessment. One of the reasons Pogue liked the 5S is the outstanding camera in it. I'm now always borrowing Mr. L's iphone when I need a picture (say for my blog or something). He's good about it but I'm sure he wants me off that borrowing gig.

While I am enticed by the colourful 5C (did you see the lime, lemon, turquoise and the pink- so compelling cause they look so fun & hip), the bronze version of the 5S (in the flesh- I mean not on the screen but in real life) looks darn sexy.  I didn't make a specific trip, but happened to be in a mall where they had an apple store so checked it out- just to see, you know. It  also "felt" sexy.


So I'm thinking it may be time to ditch the land line and just go cellular. Really, we pay about $60/month and the only regular caller is my Mom - (we skype with the chillun) and the rest are mostly telemarketers. What do you think- time to get in the 21st century?

8 comments:

  1. Hold up I think you have another regular caller and that would be me! What am I? I do have a stoopid iphone though so I guess you could text me. I hate my iphone! I definitely bought that in a moment of weakness. And imagine if all the the genius brains at Apple were working on problems like global warming and our climate going all to hell instead of inventing yet another freaking phone! Like they have a new something or other every few months, isn't that a Do You Mind?
    Oh and lawyers should never ever text in my opinion, doesn't any correspondence you have with clients have to be part of the record? The Law is too important for silly texting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani- are we feeling a little out of sorts today? I hope you are feeling better now. I didn't say I would use my iPhone to text I just said I told clients I couldn't text because I don't have a cell phone. I still wouldn't do it cause I agree texting is too informal especially with all the spelling mistakes I make. and you are right - the law is very very very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you always need a land line, too, but then, I am 50 years old and my knowledge of all things technical is supplied by people half my age!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY B! I hope Mr.L treats you to baubles of delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I know- I am nervous to give up the land line which is why I haven't moved on this yet. I could have a cell and land line but that seems too extravagant.

      Delete
  4. Yes Happy Birthday B!!! I hope you have a terrific day.
    I don't feel any better about my iphone I still hate it. Gadgets are the bane of my existence. People on their phones and ipads all the time: so irritating.
    Anyway have a great day and I'll be by after work with a bottle of bubbly. Bet you can't wait to see Old Crankster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward, as always, to seeing you-crankster or not! After a couple of glasses of bubbly and a few laughs all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My landline is going in 2 weeks - and I may join Mr Lovely in the iPhone5 world soon - the 5c seems gimmicky to me but the 5Sm while lovely maybe even more gimmicky - who needs fingerprint recognition? Maybe I do

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya but we need a phone. I agree there is too much "stuff" but once you start asking Siri for things and she responds to your command in a pretty seductive voice "Ok, Travis your alarm is set for 5:30 am" you may start to like it- just thinking.. maybe??







    ReplyDelete