Thursday 17 October 2013

Octoberfests (Sans sausage and beer).


I love October.  Not only because of Thanksgiving and Halloween (as though those aren't reason enough),but because it's autumn, the leaves and sky are gorgeous, the sunlight is poignant, the air is fresh and the apples are crisp and delicious. Also because it's my birthday month, as well as the birthday month of two of my children so there is always a lot to celebrate- hence Octoberfests.  Although M's actual bday is 27 years, 363 days after mine and she is therefore almost exactly 28 years younger than me and we do celebrate together- it is with my son that I mark the decades. He is just about 30 years younger than me and so we have celebrated our 0/30 (ok, only I did this one- he was just a couple of weeks old), 10/40 and 20/50 birthdays together. We are also planning (in the "far away" future) for our 30/60 birthdays cause we are going to have a BIG BASH and invite all of our friends! It's gonna be CRAAA-ZEEE!

This year Al's birthday fell on Thanksgiving
the birthday boy waiting for his banana pancake (aint he a beaute!)
and that was pretty great because everybody (except my hard working son-in-law, whose absence made it less than perfect) was home. I really missed Phil and wanted to tell him that we missed and loved him so I tried to face time  (ya I'm technically savvy dontcha know) with him (no pick up) and then called him on his cell- he picked up- but he was in the middle of work in the hospital-("oops sorry guy that I'm trying to resuscitate, I need to take this call from my M-i-l"- not really but that was the joke in our house) so not actually the best time to talk.

For Al's birthday I got him, among other things, a pair of shoes. The gift was based on Al's dissertation that everybody needs just 5 pairs of shoes and that he was down by two- Shoes required are: 1. dress shoes for  weddings and funerals,(got em -bought by yours truly), 2.winter boots, (got em- bought by Mr. L), 3. crappy casual shoes or as I like to call them shoes for walking in the mud (and also til now his every day shoes and date shoes- seriously, Al do you mind!)
couldn't you at least use the two purple shoelaces I gave you?
4. good casual shoes and 5. good running shoes for sports. I figured theses sweet treads would help with #4 and hopefully replace #3 entirely (except for walking in the mud).


ah- keens!

Al is a practical guy and a frugal one. (He's in the 3rd year of his doctorate program in Economics at Queens studying stuff like this:

whatever!
Need I say more? He's an Economist. He would never spring $150 for a pair of shoes so I had to help him step up! He once said to me that if I wasn't shopping at Value Village I was paying too much for clothes. What are you going to do with that?

We also went for a family hike, (which activity was approved by the birthday boy) to a spectacular place on the Bruce Trail that the kids have been going to since birth, about 40 minutes from our house but so worth the drive.



see Al in protective colouration at the end of the bridge

Because it was a beautiful day and a holiday, everybody and his brother was out in "our" spot but can you blame them?

on a side trail escaping the hordes
Still we were able to have a wonderful 2 1/2 hour romp in the woods (and part on a side trail ) and come home for eggplant curry for the vegetarians and  turkey sandwiches made on whole wheat wonder (Al does not eat white bread) with mayo, dressing and cranberry sauce right in em. Yum yum. I love October!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Madame M! Your son is gorgeous, just like his sisters! And good on you for the hike - they are so revitalizing, aren't they? Makes me want to get out for a good long hike tomorrow! 5 pair of shoes? I need his help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go for it- the hike. You will feel fantastic! I would go every day if I could.

      Delete
  2. Seriously love Facetime for keeping in touch.
    Sounds like a great day was had by all...he is rather handsome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often use it because don't know who has the apple technology but it is so cool!

      Delete
  3. That Al reminds me of me when I was his age-- only with cooler shoes and mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHO IS Thomas Wilson?! He sounds like such an Old Fart!

      Delete
    2. Thomas I bet you have cool shoes and a cool Mom too. Just guessing...

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about this 5 pairs of shoes business! What?! Why hasn't Al talked to me about this, he knows I obsess about wardrobe issues, come on Al can you write me a paper or something on this issue, I need to know more. Diagrams are okay but not too much theory please.
    Yeah I saw those shoes IRL and they make Al even more handsome, like that's even possible. Happy Birthday Al you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you might have got the full lowdown already. I'm not sure there is much more to it than what you've read here. Maybe he could turn it into an economics model?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey B, Happy B'day to you and yours! I love October as well..., mostly for the outside stuff- colours and cool temps, but also for that sense of preparing for the coming winter. Love the MIL story, he should (and likely does) consider himself damned lucky to be getting a call from you, mid-procedure or otherwise!

    Btw....doing some work with WLU....so you may get a much deserved chance for a cocktail with Miss W and I in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks B. YAY- would love to see you guys. Let me know when you are coming so I can stock up on gin. We wouldn't want to run out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 pair of shoes??? oh my! Even I have gotten better at this I am far, far from this! And Facetime is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean you have way more than 5 pairs? Really? I do like how easy face time is- no sign in or anything. I want to try to find out how many people I can actually do this with cause it is such an excellent communication tool.

      Delete