Thursday 24 October 2013

Aim Higher

One of the glam news bites that I read this week was:
"Klum Can't Top 73 Year Old".
The clip is about Heidi Klum wearing a animal print dress and how she can't hold a candle to the 73 year old Raquel Welch, who is wearing the same dress.  The people in the glam world love to make these comparisons -here it is:



Do you mind! Numero uno,  Heidi looks amazing, (o wait she is a super model), and numero duo, sure, Raquel may be 73 years old chronologically but doesn't the fact (ok, I'm just guessing) that she has had "work" (on, I'm also guessing, every part of her body and face that can possibly be intervened with), count for anything? Yes, she looks fabuloso and about 50. It's insane. How is an ordinary healthy 73 year old woman supposed to feel? Or an ordinary 55 year old? Or an ordinary 45 year old.. you get my drift.

There was another article in the Huffington Post last week entitled " Gorgeous Celebrities Prove That Looks Don't Necessarily Peak at  age 20. First off, what is with saying "looks" peak at age 20? Do 21 year olds now need to worry that they are over the hill?  And when you scroll through the list of celebrities, I'm guessing that 99% per cent of them have had work and /or are photoshopped. Of course they look great but  guess what? They are MOs (modified organisms). As the nihilist in the Big Lebowski lamented "It's not Fair!" (I love that bit).  That's like comparing a regular tomato to a GMO one- which one will look better do you think?
But just as for the tomato, my (tom)motto for this is - often repeated in our home- "It is not what is on the outside - it is what is on the inside that counts". The Dove people have it right. How bout we strive to be healthy, active, engaged, curious and compassionate.

Let's stop this outrageous focus on outer beauty and youth and AIM HIGHER!

12 comments:

  1. Raquel may have had work done but I know plenty of people with work done and frankly don't look that great anyway. But she is a freak of nature and was always a superlative. Heidi is gorgeous but there's something more muttony about her than Raquel funnily enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that- bad work is worse than no work at all. Some people you see don't even look like themselves. That can't be good!.

      Delete
  2. B, you are my new hero of the obscure reference! The TBL nihilists are great..., well the whole thing is great. I was going to say that I had a "soft-spot" for Raquel, but then I thought that might sound creepy...oops.

    The Dude Abides...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me going on that movie. I love love love it- starting with The Dude himself. It's great right from the get go with The Dude in the grocery store smelling the milk. I get a big kick out of the scene where the real Lebowski says to him" You sir, are a bum! " and the Dude languidly replies" Well, that's just your opinion, man". I use that line often- it's so good. Well when you come down G&Ts and choice scenes from TBL.
      Bought some Hendricks gin in Buffalo yesterday- it's the good stuff!

      Delete
    2. Hendricks eh? hmmm... I usually drink Bombay Saphire, but for no reason other than the fact that I enjoy the blue bottle. What about the glass, what type of glass do you prefer Madame? I read an article about using the large bowl-type wine glass. I loved it when I tried it.... I soon realized that it was less the shape of the glass and more the volume of G&T in the large bowl that I was preferring.

      Delete
    3. Wow I guess I never even saw this response. I normally drink Bombay Saphire too- gotta love the blue bottle- we keep it in the freezer. totally dig the idea of the large bowl wine glass or I'm thinking a tumbler would be good too

      Delete
  3. Hate to come in after husband...

    I hear you. Heidi looks fine! It is the crazy invisibility of women in the media after a certain age - drives me mad and it SUCH a North American construct. I was much duller at 20 - cute, but duller (and I'm telling you, I was a pistol!) I wouldn't go back there unless I could take my experience with me!
    Hey - did you ever get over to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read it and even commented on your fairy slip cocktail post. I love it. A bit of fashion, a bit of politics, a bit of philosophy. It's great! Keep on rocking!

      Delete
  4. Aim Higher, B you speak the truth! I can vouch that you've been saying this for years! Yeah you're calling it as you see it, someone has to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not saying I can always do it. I'm pretty shallow sometimes but it is a good thing to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right!!! We all know that all the pics are photoshoped and yet how many women (including me) feel guilty of the bit of flesh that should not be on your ..... (fill the blank)...
    BTW, I can't sign anymore with my name/URL, so I had to do it with my Google name...
    FunkySteph

    ReplyDelete
  7. "neck". My bugaboo is "turkey neck" which my mom says I have been complaining about since age 12. Well NOBODY wantsTN- so gross but what ya gonna do???

    ReplyDelete