Wednesday 23 October 2013

911

When I check my email remotely, courtesy of Rogers Yahoo, I also get a dose of what is happening in the world today-  most often in the world of glam or sports and but also in the world of real estate, nutrition, health or general human interest. It is indicative of the times that these news "bites" are the way many people (NOT ME, of course) get their news - one paragraph articles always with catchy pictures and often gossipy type news.  About once a week there is an article with the heading "5 Foods that will make you ( insert new word(s) each week from list below):
Fat, Skinny, Smarter, Sexier, Rich, Famous, Into an Alien, etc.  I always read those cause you never know, right?

Here is a sampling of the "news" in the last few days: "Kate Middleton plays volleyball wearing wedges for charity" (first off, isn't that a dangling something or other but playing volleyball in heels- that's an unfair advantage-makes her taller); "Mexican gun lord gunned down by clowns" (not even funny); "Home Inspired by Fortress of Solitude", (if only superman came with it); "Celeb Baby Name Trends" (apparently Blue and Apple are now out- who knew?); and two of my favourites -  "Arnold Loves Pasta":


looks like eating "the pasta" is turning Arnie into an alien
This article is about a clearly carbbed out Arnold Schwarzenegger and how much he much with he loves pasta and opens with the cutesy line " I'll be back...... for more pasta!" Hilarious!

and

"Man calls 911 to investigate stolen jello". "An employee at the Wakefern Food Corp warehouse called police to investigate the theft of his Jello from the break room according to CBS news." Yes this is a news item. Apparently the 39 year old was mad because his food had been stolen once before. Oh well then, that makes sense.

On the related theme it was reported that there was a flood of 911 calls in Connecticut in August when a cable outage interrupted the drama Breaking Bad (ya and???  I can so get behind this one)! Apparently police had to post on its Facebook page for residents to stop calling its emergency lines with cable complaints. Do you mind- this was emergency!

And finally there are these newsy tidbits-  Which of these two women is more insane? 1. Police in New Hampshire arrested woman this summer after she called 911 to ask for a pen"...(apparently she had been calling many times before - to ask for a pencil, perchance?) or 2. "Police arrested a New Hampshire woman after she reported a medical emergency- then asked for help ordering Chinese food when firefighters arrived". How tough I can it be to order Chinese food, even in New Hampshire?









12 comments:

  1. Oh if that was the Breaking Bad finale I'd be calling in too, it's a smorgasbord of non stop info out there now, no wonder I can't sleep at night.
    Tonight I'll be wondering, what kind of sauce did Arnie have on his pasta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a LOT going on- that's for sure. Sometimes I think it would be good to unplug for a while. Hard when you work on a computer!

      Delete
  2. Arnold looks crazy happy! Has he never eaten pasta before?
    Who is more insane... tough one B. I'm thinking pen lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Arnie just looks crazy. You're right it looks like he has never eaten pasta before- he is so into it.

      Delete
  3. My friend is a paramedic/first responder and they get silly 911 calls all the time.
    I think those people should be fined.
    She did tell us about an obese person who dropped the TV remote control on the floor and could not reach it so called 911 and had to fake an emergency story to the dispatcher so they would send the ambulance...when they got there and determined that it was a false call they refused to pick up the remote.
    What a waste of our resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Remote Control Lady wins for most insane 911 call.

      Delete
    2. I think these New Hampshire women were arrested and fined. I agree you can't use the response workers as a concierge or your personal servant. I wonder if these people are just lonely too. Sad in a way.

      Delete
  4. Totally with you on the Breaking Bad...absolutely rational use of 911. Since the series ended, I was told to Orange is the New Black...but, that is no BB. I really didn't get what all the fuss was about...and the wardrobe? Blah! Love the pic of Arnie, and since having to go gluten-free a couple of years ago, I could relate to his crazy eyes on that one, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that Orange is the new Black is no BB. Hard act to follow though. I'm not finished the series and I'm really starting to dislike Walt. Great evolution of a character

      Delete
  5. After a tough day yesterday, a tough evening and a same morning today, I was delighted to read your post! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Stephanie. I hope today goes better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love pen lady!!!! I am going to just call you tonight and ask for a pen.....

    ReplyDelete