Monday 25 November 2013

Tallahasse Chow Down!

My sister and her husband Harry, live in Tallahassee which is the capital of Florida and is inland. I still find it hard to get my head around living inland in Florida but that's where the capital is and my sister (let's call her Joanne cause her name is Joanne) is Staff Director for the Florida House of Representatives Appropriations Committee. Sounds high falutin and it is- she is very talented and very hard working. She worked for Jeb Bush when he was the governor but that is a whole other story.  Her hours are insane when the House is in session which is from January to May, every year. So it is often difficult to get together with her since our busy work times are reversed. Or to put it another way "she" is off-kilter. She misses us (can you blame her?) and has been encouraging me & Mr. L to visit her relatively-new house (though it may be 2 years old) by telling me I will have my own deluxe room (ok, I thought that was a given) and an ensuite bathroom (YES that is the ticket- I love an ensuite not having one at home).  As my Mom (who also lives in Florida, in North Palm Beach which is 7 driving hours away) was going to visit my sister for Thanksgiving, Mr. L and I decided to  fly down so we could see everybody in one fell swoop. My sister is, (as are Harry and my Mom) a ton of fun so good times (and food as you will see below) are ahead! Joanne is heavy into food preparation mode.  She has been texting to our cell phone - and since it does belong to Mr. L, they had an exchange come ca:

DAY 1
John, I am going to make you fantastic waffles from scratch one morning! Was going to call this weekend but was really sick. Better now. What else should I cook for you guys ? Brisket? Apple pie, quiche, bread pudding, pan seared salmon?

Mr. L:
My emotions are all over the place.  Sorry to hear you were sick, but so happy about the waffles.  Brisket would be yummy, and I can easily join in Harry’s  joy about bread pudding.  Easily.

Joanne :
Done deal! I will also get some quality sausage to go with those waffles. And the brisket will be served in a bed of mashed potatoes, whipped with heavy cream of course.

Mr. L:
You know how to live!

Joanne:
And some candied carrots ( to make it all healthy).

DAY2

Joanne:
Splurged on some good wine for us!

Me:
B here (so she would know it was me)  Yay! What did you get?

Joanne :
Wine.

Me:
What wine?
I knew it was wine- you said that!

Joanne:
I know, just being silly. Chalk hill 2010 estate red, 92 point rating.

Me:
Yum! I just bought a flask for drinking while walking!

Joanne :
Time for some self examination?

Me:
Nah. You?

Joanne:
No, I don't drink and walk.

Me:
  I don't either..... Yet.
It's cold up here- a shot of booze helps keep ya going.
McCabe and Mrs Miller!

Joanne:
??? Who??

Me:
Robert Altman movie- Warren Beatty dies in the snow. I don't want that to happen to me!

Joanne:
No, for sure not. I am also making fab meat sauce for lasagna for when you are here. Lots of red pepper, mushroom. Lasagna will feature smoked provolone and whole milk ricotta.
It's bubbling now-- The meat sauce that is.

Me:
Whoa sounds hot hot hot! Do you use hot pepper?

Joanne :
No the red pepper is sweet, not hot. But there is hot Italian sausage in there (and ground beef a course).

Me:
Sounds fab. Cook on McDuff!

Joanne:
Bought apples for Apple pie too and other good stuff.

Me:
Yeesh, I'm going to have to start dieting now. 

DAY 3:
Joanne :
Gianormous 40 lbs 5 cheese lasagna prepped and in freezer for next weekend.... Check.

Me:
Yikes- 40 pounds!!!  DO YOU MIND!! Are you insane? I"ll answer that - yes. There are only 5 of us.

Joanne :
Ok, well I didn't weigh it...but it's big, meaty and cheesy!

Me:
Ya like I said I'm commencing to diet immediately.

Joanne:
Good idea.  And no whining while you are down here. And I will feed my brother-in- law as I see fit....meaning a lot. You starve the poor boy.


And so it goes. The last part is so not true. Mr. L eats what he wants but, man, is he going to be over the moon to have my sister feed him.

P.S. Mom just called me to see if I wanted her to buy me coffee at Costco.(I drink Starbucks French Roast which they sell at Costco for $25 for 2/12 lbs- such a deal)!  Me: Mom we have a Costco here. Mom: Really? Do you want anything? They have beautiful cashmere. Me: They have cashmere at Costco?? Mom: No at Steinmart.

I love my family!

15 comments:

  1. oh you will have a blast!!!! Tallahassee Thanksgiving with your clan promises to be one for the ages!! Drink (and walk!) on McDuff!

    oh and ps - got the McCabe and Mrs. Miller allusion - could we be long-lost cousins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will be- drinking and walking. Have a bum knee and have been advised not to run so have been power walking instead which is damn hard. But this will be more leisurely I'm sure. I adore that movie- must watch it again.

      Delete
  2. Is John going to come home with you? I'm not so sure. He is going to be in absolute heaven. Bread pudding? Candied carrots for health? Please take pictures of him so we can see how happy he is.
    And yeah you're going to need to drink and walk just to digest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's too mutz man. It's going to be obscene but I guess you can see that from the cooking description.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! You do have to stop eating now... Not about dieting, but to make room for all the yummy things you will have! Sounds so delicious... Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. thanks Steph. I'm sure it will be great though I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up!

      Delete
  4. Hey - bring me back a lasagne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. How bout 1/2 a lasagna ? that would last you for a month!

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I can hear John giggling with glee now. But what will your starving children do alone at home? What about the children????? --dannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. Have a good time!--dannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks darlin. You'll see us rollin down the street when we're back. Let's get together for some carrot sticks and celery!

      Delete