Sunday 17 November 2013

Dessert Wine Disaster

So I had volunteered to buy the dessert wines for our next wine club meeting even though I was vaguely aware that the dessert wines cost 9 million dollars for a piddling amount of wine. True story. Kate said she already had a Sauterne so all I needed to get was an ice wine, a Vin Santo and a Hungarian Tokaji. Good thing too cause this bottle of ice wine was $24.99 for 200 mls.,

unusual because it is a cabernet franc and red grapes
this santo was on sale for the $29.99


and this tokaji had to be hunted down by our wonderful wine consultant Lidia, and  imported into our town's LCBO, (pronounced "lick bow" according to E), and set me back a whopping $45.99.


this one comes in its own little box but still


aint they pretty

Not for the faint of heart or wallet.

So a few weekends a go while visiting Meg and Phil in Buffalo, we made a trip  to the premium wine store there. It was high on our agenda of must dos. And for good reason. It is a warehouse - a veritable warehouse full of delicious wine
hallelujah!
- imagine choir of angels. I was like a kid in a candy store and then I spied them- boxed Hungarian Tokaja for $30.00- OMG! what a deal! what a discount! what a glorious day! -yes choir of angels again!  At .5 litres I could buy 3 and import them back to Canada- maybe give them as Christmas gifts or  drink one on our 35th anniversary or something big. Just to make sure, I had Phil double check the import regs for booze on his cell so we knew we wouldn't run a foul of the law. Which is very bad to do don'tcha know. Mr. Lovely was excited about a bottle of Amaroni that he bought at a substantial discount too.   I also bought some Hendricks gin which I planned to leave with the kids for them to bring over at a later date and one for Phil so he could drink it for his BDAY. What could be wrong? I love this place.

So at the border crossing, there was a bit of wait and it was getting a bit trying. But not as much as having to answer all the questions by the customs official - like exactly how much wine did we have ( which we painstaking explained -  I had three .5 litre bottles , Mr. Lovely also had 1.5 litres, so we were within our personal limit) and when we have left the country etc. But it was about to get a lot more trying, cause guess what? We had not been out of the country long enough- we had to be out 48 hours and we were short of that. That meant we had to stop at the cashier hut and ante up for duty and taxes a grand total of $85.00. We didn't know that amount before we went in or we might have tried another strategy. &^%$#&* Do you mind! That wiped out our discount entirely and cost us more than it would have in Canada. What a Bummer with a capital B. I was  trying hard to b lovely but really I was b sad.
When I told Meg this saga she said "Mom this story broke my heart. You should have come back and left them at our house." Shoulda for sure.  Live and learn- check all the regs! Yeesh.

4 comments:

  1. Oh that is a heartbreaker! I grew up in a border town and know they are very firm! The 48 is a magical number ;-)

    On other hand, you have some nice wine (she said, trying to be helpful)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure I'll feel better once I drink the wine. It was an ignorant thing to do- just plain dumb and I'm kicking myself for that!

      Delete
  2. This kills me! Stop thinking about it, it's like being tortured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It aint that bad. It's funny right?

    ReplyDelete