Monday 9 December 2013

The McQueen/Fassbender Combination of Despair.


I love Michael Fassbender:

Michael in leather.

and I love Steve McQueeen, the writer/director- that is- this guy:

Steve in a bow-tie
(not to be confused with Steve McQueen, the "King of Cool" actor- this guy):


Cool & handsome, yeah, but also quite dead

ok- back on track- do you mind!

and I love Steve and Michael together:

Steve and Michael laughing- I'm thinking not during one of their films

Why you ask?

McQueen has written or co written and directed 3 films, Hunger (2008) Shame (2011) and 12 Years a Slave (2013) which are all are excellent, brutal to watch and all star Michael Fassbender. Coincidence? I think not. Not that Fassbender is brutal to watch- quite the contrary, but the subject matters are hard core -definitely not for the faint of heart. And Fassbender can deliver.

Hunger is a dramatisation of the true story of Bobby Sands, an IRA volunteer and elected MP, who participated in the no wash protest (it didn't go well) and led the IRA hunger strike (which eventually led to his death so also didn't go so well for him) in the Maze Prison in 1981. The Republican prisoners were trying to regain their political status when it was revoked by the British government. Lots of guard sadism and ruthlessness -so that's tough and watching a man die of starvation (Fassbender lost 40 pounds on a diet of nuts, berries and sardines (yuck) to do the film because he said otherwise it wouldn't be realistic - and oh it was, trust you me) was downright heart wrenching.

Shame is the fictional story of a sex addict, Brandon who is a handsome ad executive living an alienated and unconnected life in New York city and whose life is gets even more twisted and bizarre when his younger sister, Sissy, a messed up needy woman, played by Carrey Mulligan comes to visit. They are both struggling and in pain and because of the stellar acting, so are we. The cinematography is fantastic- and the story gruelling- we watch the unravelling of Brandon and it aint pretty. On the up side - there is the full frontal nudity of Fassbender (I say why not-it's just a human body- a lovely one at that- so no, I don't mind at all) but then the most lugubrious and mournful rendition of "New York New York" there ever has been, sung by Sissy in a New York nightclub- it is a version that makes you want to gnaw your arm off.

12 Years a Slave is also based on a true story about Solomon Northup who was a free man living in New York when he gets lured to Washington and then kidnapped and sold into slavery.  Again superb acting, brilliant nature shots which juxtapose the gorgeous scenery with the human cruelty and injustice, and what seems like accurate data, unflinching retold, make you want to weep.

Why am I telling you about these 3 film when they are obviously so emotionally fraught? It is because of that very thing.  My life is too antiseptic, comfortable and banal and I like being jolted off my couch and complacency by seeing the true grit of existence. It makes me sad, yes. But it also makes me think and maybe I need to get sad and I definitely need to think about the human condition- so for me this type of viewing is essential. You might want to give it a go.




10 comments:

  1. Fassbender was such a despicable character in 12years. And you know what I haven't viewed the other two films, I guess I'd better. Didn't you warn me off Shame? Never mind!
    Definitely a talented duo though aren't they. It's going to be crazy Oscar nominations for 12 Years a Slave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought you might be too much of a "delicate flower" for the rawness of Shame but I think you are tougher than you let on- so go for it. I'll rematch it with you if you want.

      Delete
  2. I am still recovering from Hunger. There is a scene that apparently holds the record for "longest shot continual" in that movie. I will watch the latest with a whiskey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. There is a scene in Shame of Brandon running through the streets of New York which goes on and on and on and on and on.. well you get the idea. I think this is one of McQueen's things.

      Delete
  3. Thanks B - I am waiting for 12 years on dvd so I can get up now and then and put my head in the oven...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely want to look away from many scenes but I would see 12 Years in the theatre because the cinematography is so good. It is very real though up on the big screen. I wish I had seen the other two at the movies.

      Delete
  4. Hi B, my son is obsessed with Fassbender- an amazing actor on the scale of DD Lewis in my opinion. I truly love his scenes in Promotheus as a artificial human, as he channels Peter O'toole as Lawrence in my favourite of all favourite movies Lawrence of Arabia. Good art really does give us a glimpse at a life either foreign or familiar to our own..., allowing us perhaps just for a moment to feel lonely when surrounded by friends, hungry when all of our needs have been sated. Gotta love art, and especially the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I'm kinda obsessed with him too though that is such a juvenile/teenage girl thing. He was awesome in Fish Tank too- where he played another complex character. And of course you love "Orance"- what a fantastic movie. Mr. L was just watching for the first time while doing his weights in the morning (so 15 minutes at a time which I'm pretty sure is not the best way to get the feel of the desert) and I could not believe he had never seen it. I think that's it- good art transports us and we need both sides-the romance and the grit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting--"the romance and the grit"--I gotcha on that. When I was in my 20's I watched like you are watching right now--cinematography, raw performance, incredible edgy themes and ideas. Art. Now I'm a baby. I can't put my head there anymore for some reason. Or if I did then I'd have to put my head in the oven like WMM (whose visit I missed this past summer--pooh!). Exquisite pain I'd say and I just can't shoulder it anymore. Ain't the woman I used to be--dannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe you have more going on so you don't need to do it anymore. I think that is more likely the case for you Dannie. My critical self talk says watching and thinking about grit and romance (and by that I mean a mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful) is all well and good but some people actually "do" something. A bolder person would get out there I think. Maybe one day, I'll actually be jolted to do something gritty or romantic.

      Delete