Thursday 12 September 2013

Too Many Choices

Have you ever had to make a decision and been faced with so many choices that your eyes glaze over and you become paralyzed like a deer in the head lights? This, of course, is after getting a migraine so big you think your head will cave in.

Try going in go for lunch in an American road house without an idea of what you are in the mood to eat, and be faced with their 12 pages of mostly obscene offerings and you'll get the idea.

Mr. Lovely and I were recently trying to pick siding for our cottage-(it's never had siding so we were "ascared" that one day the walls would just start leaking) and figured we were ahead of the game in that we had a the product - maibec, a wood siding, that has a 50 yr. warranty ( imagine making a claim on the 49 1/2th year), that comes in many styles and colors and so all we had to do was to pick a couple of colors- easy peasy. Not so much. For one thing Mr. Lovely and yours truly have very different tastes. While we both wanted something exciting and exquisite (who doesn't?) what constitutes that is another matter entirely.

First we went to Maibec's color charts in their catalogue, which was helpful in providing fanciful names and categories but not so helpful in actually pinning down a color.


Then we looked at nine million cottage images online- from  online cottage magazines, designer cottages, to architectural websites, cottage listing through realtor.ca, to island properties images- if you could google it and it had the word cottage in it- we looked at it.  And of course we did love some, (cause some are nine million dollars) but then we figured that ours would not look like them. Good figuring, no? Then we also finally clued in that not all cottage environments are alike- so that colors that worked on a rock faced Georgian Bay island might not work for our cottage in the woods on an island. Yes both islands, but no, not the same "type" of island. You see how complex this is.

We had been to the Rona and looked up the samples on their board and in fact ordered samples that most closely resembled "tree bark"to be sent to us in the mail cause "stoopid" Rona wouldn't let us take their board up to the cottage. Also how do you divvy up the colours- do you do one colour on the whole thing, or a different one for the trim and moldings or a third for some other feature and where do you put these colours- windows, trim, fascia, all or just some and what is even the correct spelling for the word color- is it color or colour and who really cares?  What a commotion! What an ordeal! Do you mind?


..... to be continued

9 comments:

  1. We own a heritage arts and crafts bungalow on the local registry so choosing colours is Critical. We went with traditional Arts and Crafts paint. Benjamin Moore has Historic Vancouver Paint colour combinations that work here in Victoria.
    Wish you luck...it is an expensive project so you want to be sure that you are happy with what you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am no help whatsoever - it appears I want EVERYHTHING and the winnowing down is a very painful experience to me!! I personally like multiple colours on houses and cottages. I personally like greys and mossy greens and sage-y colours on cottages, as they then fade into their surroundings in a delightful way, but this is purely speculation on my part, as I do not own a cottage. To now totally contradict myself, I have a house in the woods and it is yellow. Hmmm....My dream is cedar shingles the fade or darken as they age - kind of a metaphor for something. I have to admit, I use the british spelling for colour - I like my colours, my greys, my aunts, my roofs(oh wait you have to hear those two...).

    have a fabulous weekend and don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No this is helpful but are you so tired from being up so early in the morning? Just saying... I don't really understand your last sentence but it could just be me!
      have a great weekend too!

      Delete
    2. Don't think it was middle of the night when I wrote - odd? Sorry to be obscure - I just like my Canadian spellings and my Canadian pronunciations of words like aunts or roofs (of course having said that, mine might be simply new Brunswick pronunciations...)

      Delete
  3. Decisions decisions! This would be much easier if it was just ONE person making the decision. That's how it works around here. And also why did you take the problem of having too many choices and then go on the interwebs to look at other cottages therefore giving yourself more choices? You're going to drive yourself crazy! Of course I think I know how this ends but how long will you keep us waiting, please continue!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have a veto- that's for sure but Mr. Lovely is interested so he needs to have his say. Mr. BP knows to just defer to you- which totally makes sense.
      Ya it's a jungle out there in the world wide web- I tells you!

      Delete
  4. Three choices is my limit before my head explodes. I've been picking floor tiles and paint and rings - a motley crue if ever there was one and it has given me sleepless nights. Erm even though Dani asks the question above I have no answer , I too headed to the interwebs to explore MORE choices. It's is the curse of our generation.

    And that moulding, fascia question? It is causing me to weep.

    "Any colour as long as its black"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Normally I am so down with black but it seems a bit gloomy for a cottage, no?

    ReplyDelete