Tuesday 17 September 2013

Color Angst continued

So I bet you are on the edge of your seat dying to know what happened, ok maybe not, but at any rate I'm going to tell you.

Well we then went on a reconnaissance mission by canoeing around the lake to get examples of other cottages that had nailed it. Admittedly many were so far in the woods we couldn't really see them but  guess what? This mission was a bust. We were not blown away by anything- some were downright hideous ("hey, that's just your opinion, man")  and some were ok, but tepid and limp (not good in anything) -overall nothing moved us. That's right we need to be moved, dammit!

We had been looking at bark from the trees to have something that would blend in with the forest, when Mr. L hits me with the idea that blending in is no good- he wants something more fun and lively. Really? Fun and lively? Okaaaaay. Go on. Well he wasn't sure so he went out to sit on the tent platform and meditate on it.




and after about 30 minutes came up with this:





A pine sprig- do you mind? No, not the pine sprig -the orange bit in the middle of the pine sprig- that's the ticket- the fun and lively color. Oh my! So then commenced the research of matching that middle of the sprig color with maibec's colour (it's called saddlery ok!) and then finding images with that color, get in the boat and then the car, to haul it to the Timbermart, to see their samples- only to find out we could have ANY color we wanted because they could mock up anything and being directed to the Bennie Moore chips.. NOOOO. It stops here! I can't take MORE choice- I can't deal with what I have. BRUTAL- I know you can feel my pain! I bet you are in pain too if you are still awake.

Luckily when we got back to civilization, the actual samples I had requested had come in so we had more to work with and with the help of a friend and here's the kicker- she's a designer( YAY!!!! why did we not think of this before) picked out colors. Timber for the siding (darker one) and Pepperwood for the trim (lighter one).


Notice how they both have a bark theme.

These are actually pretty neat colours in that depending on the light they can be either, grey, green or taupe.  My friend actually looked at the color scheme in the house as well as she said all colors had to be copacetic. Who knew? We also picked a cool wasabi green for the door trim and wood. This decision is done- it's over- Mercy me.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah thank heavens we're all happy it's over! I'm just kidding, this was the most entertaining post on picking out paint colours I have ever read, so many good DYM's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can Mr. L have a pine sprig Adirondack, tucked off in the woods, just because?

    Love the colours chosen. The happiness of a copasetic colour scheme will have no bounds. I have no such colour scheme, though I do admire it in others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, he can pert near have anything he wants- tucked in the woods. He has a ginormous log that he wants to make a totem out of (or is that with) - lord only knows where that will end up!

      Delete
  3. It's no walk in the bark. Wasabi green will help the wasabi that inevitably gets on the walls blend in-- good idea-- choose the colour of what most gets on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Thomas- you are the King of puns. Good one.

    ReplyDelete