Wednesday 4 September 2013

Bliss Consciousness

 No wait- hear me out. It isn't necessarily flaky.

So I figured I was having a pretty awesome summer- I was working like a maniac when I was in the city but on the weekends we would get up at the crack of dawn, (or so), hop in the beamer, and head up north to our island cottage -a mere 3 hours to the marina.  Worth it because once there, I got to have white wine with lunch, (on our  screened in porch which has a panoramic view of the lake), nap! yes (did I mention we got up at the crack of dawn), lop some dead branches to make the trees look even more beautiful, swim, canoe and /or kayak, imbibe g&t(s) on the dock, loll over a romantic dinner watching the sunset- into bed by sundown, read (was rereading To The Wedding by John Berger- a fantastic novel filled with the most luscious images of an outdoor wedding you will ever read-Mr. Lovely and I read the last chapter to each other one morning over coffee- the writing is gorgeous!)-  then up again with the sun.. coffee at coffee beach, some physical work like repairing the screen door of the "love shack"(our 100 yr old log bunkie named by my sista when she stayed there with her hubby- ya tmi) and then.. well you get the routine. DELUXE NO? Well yes!
the "love shack"

Sometimes I even took a Monday off, so I wasn't too troubled when I saw that my calendar was filling up with real estate closings, (sole practitioner, new staff) and I might not be able to take a full week off. Mr. Lovely said- well I'm taking a week off regardless so you decide. Harsh!

So I  did decide to move heaven and earth-(well it felt like it!)- to get a week off to go to the cottage. And it was worth it because on day 8, I experienced what Mr. Lovely termed "bliss consciousness".

So it's like this-I normally feel pretty darn good at the cottage (see routine above- not too shabby-do you mind?) but I still watch it- like if I want to chill but feel like I haven't got enough exercise I push myself to work out or if I want a carb for breakfast, (always!) I eat a yogurt with fruit instead cause I feel I should.

But on the 8th day I didn't. I wanted some pumpernickel with imperial cheese and Henrietta's marmalade made with 5 types of fruit and grand marnier and I had it- 2 pieces, while thumbing through a Cottages mag- and it felt GREAT! It was dreamlike- the complete happiness I felt. I lay on the couch midmorning, (gasp!)  cranked open the windows, and just felt the breeze roll over me. Later I took out our newly caulked wind and the willows rowboat and rowed to F Bay where I snagged some truly amazing driftwood off some crown land (thanks your majesty) for my driftwood sculpture (well one day!) and swam in my clothes off a rock cause I was just so HOT and who cares, right? And so on all day long- it was divine- "hakuna matata" (c'mon you know you've seen the Lion King). And I figure it was because I knew I really had no worries that day- I knew I didn't have to check my email, or contact my office cause it was the weekend, we had no guests (I love my guests but you can't just lie down in the middle of the day- now can you) and Mr. Lovely was off doing some man project with our neighbour so I just could free float. And, (and I think this is the kicker), I had been mostly relaxed (except for one major swearing episode where some deal was not going my way, temporarily) for the last 7 days in an environment that I loved, so I was primed for bliss.

So hip hip for taking a longer vacation- I think we need to.
Mr. Lovely says I can now try to live in bliss consciousness but who is he kidding. Back at work- not a chance but I know it's there and hopefully I can get there more often!

Ever have bliss consciousness- tell me about it.

ps. I have not blogged in so long I mostly forget how to download photos so not very good visuals but will try to get up to speed next time.




17 comments:

  1. Gosh that sounds amazing! Kind of like how I feel when we are on holiday on our boat....the new Sea Ray as we sold our classic mahogany ChrisCraft after 20 blissful years of cruising.
    Chilli-axin as my kids would say...
    Nice post BTW
    Hostess
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Holidaying on a boat sounds pretty free floating too- I love the classic old boats - they are gorgeous but I'm sure the Sea Ray is a bliss potential too.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Yippee! I will tell your New Brunswick boyfriend you are back! This sounds absolutely idyllic! Longer vacations are the taste of a later retirement, I think, and make for good mental health. When I was working 70 or 80 hours a week they always helped me cope!

    So good to meet you this summer! I love the idea of a Wind in the Willows rowboat - am wondering which role Mr. Lovely plays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow a foreign boyfriend (different province is foreign,no) how exotic!

      Great to meet you too- I hope we can reconnect soon.
      Well it is really just the boat that is wind and willows like but if I had to choose a character I'de have to go with Ratty-bad name considering he is actually a water vole.

      Delete
  3. Berna this is so well-written, I get you now! When you told me about this I wasn't sure what you were talking about... but now I have the whole story and it all makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya well I had probably been drinking when talking to you and as we know I rarely make sense at those times. Glad you are feeling better!

      Delete
  4. Hi Berna I just came from Dani's and am so glad I did ! This kind of bliss is often what I crave.
    It does not happen enough, and maybe that is why we languish in it!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artist Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! It doesn't happen enough-how do we change that when we have to work?

      Delete
  5. Here from Dani's. Yes, this feeling of bliss is sort of the whole point of being allowed to be human. So wonderful. Would love to see more photos of your love shack:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat it when it happens- that's for sure. I will try to get some more "love shack" photos. I am a pretty lousy photographer but I can try-I will try dammit!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful. I want your Love Shack for my retirement home.

    Think I've experienced bliss consciousness (been so long no longer certain). I used to take vacations at a little mountain cabin kind of like your Love Shack. It had no phone (and no cell coverage, at least at that time), no electronics except an old B&W TV that got maybe two stations of fuzzy images, no climate control, etc. but well stocked with old books and wood for the large stone fireplace. It was blissfully quiet except for the sound of the wind, leaves and crickets.

    Another is when I vacationed in Hawaii where I did things like having coconut pancakes with pineapple syrup for breakfast (and savoring a pot of Kona coffee for hours) and floating as if a seaweed (on and off for hours). I did not check off a single must see/must do and didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saaay- you are giving me an idea for my retirement-rent out the love shack to copasetic people- it is at the other end of the property and it does have a fridge and stove and porto potty. Great idea- you are in!
      That mountain cabin sounds fantastic- a perfect place for bliss. Glad you have had that experience.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I agree, more pics please. Especially of the love shack. I wonder what it is that requires more than a couple days of relaxation to appreciate/realize/internalize this kind of bliss. It really is something that has to be... settled into, I think.

    Maybe it's kind of like Scuba diving. Let me explain if you haven't been. When first start out and your a few feet from the surface, it's really easy to be aware of the surface, having to fight against floating back, and having this feeling of being "from there" and only visiting for a short while. As the deeper you go, the further away the surface becomes and the feeling of actually being somewhere new really starts to sink in - the darkness, silence. It really has a calming effect, at least for me.

    So maybe 5, 6, 7 days at the cottage puts the "surface" (city, work) so far away that you can really let the beauty of the panoramic sunsets sink in...

    Anyway, lovely post B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip as I have always said- you are more that just a pretty face- you are also quite the philosopher. Love the analogy and I think there is something to it for sure. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Well B, this is a great post....the pumpernickel and the cheese and the marmalade and the naps....oh the naps....good for you and Mr L!! And you READ to each other..., now that is just sweet..., hell, it's more than sweet, it's almost perfect. Keep bloggin' girl! This is good stuff. I look forward to sitting around with you and yours sometime soon (G&Ts for sure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you want to run out and buy that book so you and Wendy could read it to each other-maybe by the pool with a cocktail,(or a couple)- man you are more than halfway there!
      I think you two will need to do a road & then boat trip up to the island next summer and loll about in the "love shack".
      In the meantime let us know when you are in town so we can get on those G&Ts.

      Delete