Thursday 20 March 2014

Espresso Express

(Continuation from previous post)

And so I "finally" (and by that I mean after obsessively cross referencing the number of reviews against the ratings, price, quality, yada yada yada and trying to determine if there were any deals to be had out there cause I love the discount, but then who doesn't) decided to purchase an open box Ascaso Mini in black ABS plastic.

C'mon, aint she a beaute
I purchased her online for $199 from idrinkcoffee, a fairly local "merchant" (they call themselves merchants- great word) free shipping included. That's a good deal- $40 off the regular price because of the open box. What is an open box you ask-or maybe you figured it out cause you 're smart but I asked. It means that a previous customer opened it and returned it cause they immediately decided they didn't like it, (why would they not like it on sight?- that's disturbing) or there was a minor problem which has been repaired and it is now in perfect working condition,(even more disturbing- but they say it is perfect now and are giving me the normal warranty so it must be perfect, right?)  I took the plunge notwithstanding my concerns. So I was pretty excited when a day after my order, I received a large package in the mail. Yes indeedy- it was my new grinder. Excellent coffee here we come.  Took er home and pulled er out of the box- she looked perfect. Ready to go when I am! Had seen a video on how to run er, so the next morning, plugged er in- put some beanos in the hopper, hit the grind button- she ground once, she ground twice and then stopped. Cold. Stopped cold. That's right.  Do you mind! This can not be, and yet it be. GRRRR. Ground the coffee in the magic bullet, dripped it through the drip maker- had an crappy coffee, dashed off an email to idrinkcoffee espressing (ya, that's a joke) my dismay, propped up a note in bold marker on the new grinder for Mr. L which read "DOES NOT WORK" and went for a run.  Mr. L had taken a look by the time I got back and said "Yup, it doesn't work- you're right." After a few emails back and forth with customer service at idrinkcoffee wherein they suggested possible but ultimately futile fixes I decided to speed up the process by returning the sucker in the flesh.

Because in the meantime, I had found a truly astounding deal at Whole Latte Love (cute yes? Whole Lotta Love- Led Zeplin, I get it- I wonder if they had to pay to use it) a Gaggia Classic espresso machine rated pretty highly by coffeegeek and discounted together with the use of a coupon to $329 about $270.00 off.

C'mon, aint she a beaute, too
I wasn't even going to get an espresso machine but could not pass up this deal. I bet I've spent thousands of unnecessary dollars on not passing up a deal- anybody who goes to Costco knows what I mean. Maybe one day I'll be able stop to that.

There's a whole lotta story about getting that machine here involving, Meg, Phil, border guards, a dancing bear and a clown, but the good news it that it was shipped and landed on my kitchen table within 2 days.  I gotta say the delivery for this coffee equipment is express.
In the intervening day, I had driven to idrinkcoffee (it's worth the drive to Milton- gorgeous store with gleaming and shiny eye candy, equipment wise, guaranteed to blow your mind), met Stawek the very knowledgeable & charming founder and CEO who calmed me down by preparing for me a fantastic espresso right there, appropriately apologizing about the open box fiasco, answering all my boring questions about grinders and giving me the $40 off a new polished steel Ascaso mini. (Good PR, Stawek but you had me at the espresso). So here is the upgrade:

C'mon it's worth the extra $50 to have matching equipment
I was on an upswing. So flash forward to Sunday morning-time for my espresso which I was going to have with French toast with real maple syrup to celebrate. The stakes were high and yet unbelievably but true there was another cafuffle with the grinder involving it getting clogged, Phil and Mr. L opening it up, some fiddling with a thingamabob, the guys closing it up- finding that the screw didn't catch, trying to find another screw, til finally (yes, for the love of Seymour, please, please let this woman have a cup of espresso) all was in readiness, the Spanish machine- Barcelona, (grinder) the Italian machine- Milan, (espresso) yours truly, (more than ready) and ta da!

Espresso Express :  a mere 20 easy steps!

So worth it!

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I fancy an Americano and decaf as it is close to bedtime....I have always wanted one of these coffee machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get one if you can! I have to say the coffee is fantastic. The coffeegeeks talk about refurbished ones and say they can be great but I guess it depends on how much time you have to fuss with it.

      Delete
  2. sweetie - you and barry were separated from birth! he bought a new machine last fall, but in a very Kennedy-esque way, the dream of the ultimate one never dies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did he get? let's see a picture madame. and what does he now want? what do you want Barry?

      Delete
    2. oh B...., me and my gadgets, what a time we have had. I have not seen fit to spent a great deal of cash-ola on a really good machine (which is convenient because Miss Wendy is of a like mind!). We were regular coffee people before our first trip to France in the summer of '08. Oh sure, we had the odd espresso, capo, prior thereto, but the espresso bug was truly set after France. We bought a modest Breville in July 2008, and every day since I have made a cappuccino for Miss W, and one for me too! The Breville conked out after maybe 2-3 years, was replaced by a Cuisinart (yeah I know, simple cheap machines, but work pretty well), followed by another Cuisinart which just flopped about 6 months ago. Replaced it with a pretty little Krups (chrome-like finish with woodgrain-esque accents- I don't know how to post photos in this reply...). And it works quite well.

      No grinding anymore, too loud and I can''t tell the difference between fresh ground and the Lavazza Rosa we drink. Just trying Lavazza Crema & Gusto the last few days.

      My French language tutor, Antonio (he's Italian of course), also mentored me in the ways of espresso. When I invited him to try an espresso with me at a local coffee bar where the chap roasts his own beans, and I told him how great it was, he simply replied that when he wants the best croissant he looks to the French, the best goulash- look to the Hungarians, and so, he said (a la DO YOU MIND) as a proud Canadian from Italy he would NOT be going to a local coffee bar to buy espresso from a local NB kid. He delivered this lesson with such panache, it was such great fun. He made me go to his house one afternoon so he could make me an espresso on his low tech, low cost machine. It was lovely.

      fear not...this is not a story about settling for low-tech, low-cost...I still want more lights, more switches, more settings..., and so my search continues.

      Delete
    3. Well I'm impressed that you make your wife a coffee every day. Good on you! I don't know about grind vs non grind cause I have been grinding (after a fashion) my coffee forever. My rational self tells me that grinding beans is fresher- gotta be, no? Also I've looked up your Krups and it looks sweet- modern, compact-perfect really for 2 espresso drinkers.
      Also what is with an "Italian" French language tudor? just asking- but I bet he is multilingual- those Europeans have us beat in so many ways. Also isn't your province bilingual- dontchaknow French already?
      There is so much for you to upgrade to- you guys just have to decide if you want to, or maybe instal some strobe lights- for the cheap simulation -apparently there is an app.

      Delete
  3. What a commotion around a cup of coffee hey! Coffee=caffeine delivery system as far as I'm concerned. My only criteria is that the coffee itself be organic fair trade blah blah, I read somewhere that coffee beans are heavily sprayed.
    Anyway your new machines look real nice though I'm slightly confused about which ones you ended up with?...Must need more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take a pill and get caffeine- you know. No no no- you just don't get it. I don't even know where to start. What do you mean you don't know what I got-yes maybe more caffeine.

      Delete