Saturday 1 February 2014

Mexico Aqui Vamos (Mexico Here We Come)

So in less than a week, Mr. Lovely and I will be picking up a rental car at the airport in Cancun and driving to our first stop just outside of Akumal, in the Mayan Riveria in the Yucatan Peninsula, Meh-"EEK"-oh! Al, who is a big punster set us up with "So would you say that where you are going, you will have an opportunity to be out in the sun or in other words the place you are going is a place where..You can tan". Yes, Al, I would definitely say that. He loves being able word play so this goes on a lot in out house when he's home.

We are pretty excited about the trip because it has all the elements we strive for in a vacation: Beautiful scenery, cultural input, physical activity and down time. First off and this was a big criteria given our FREEZING cold winter- (Do you mind- Ontario weather!)-it'll be hot, hot hot and I don't just mean the tamales!  For some chill time, we are staying in a hut off the grid in Tulum;  for exercise, we plan to snorkel in Akumal, bike in Coba to see the Mayan ruins in the forest, and also hike around the ruins in Chichen Itza, and elsewhere where we can find them; and for the cultural- well the ruins, - and in the colonial town of Merida, we plan to go English Library House and Garden Tour,  visit a couple of museums ( apparently there is reputed to be the best modern art museums in Mexico, here) a cathedral and the local market and one day hope to drive to see the flamingos in Celestun about an hour's drive west of Merida. We are going prepared. First off we spoke with our friends, the Terrys who had taken a similar trip a few years back. This was their route:

Cancun, Akumal, Tulum, Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza Merida, and back
This is our route:


Cancun, Akumal, Tulum, Coba, Valladolid, Chichen Itza, Merida, and back

Ya, ok we are copying them but why not- it worked for them. They also gave us their waterproof map of the area, their travel books, their tips on where to eat drink and play, difficult turns in the road, and when to get to a particular spot to avoid touristos and traffic and their wonderful enthusiasm for the place. They are great guides- for sure.

I also have been studying Spanish on my Duolingo app. What a world!  But in a good way- (not in the wicked witch of the west -"I'm melting WAW WAW"- way). It's a really great learning tool and I have learned invaluable phrases like "El pingüino contra el cangrejo"- Translation- "The penguin vs the crab". I don't even know what that means in English! Also "Nuestro elefante no es blanco." Translation- "Our elephant is not white". I am sure those will come up many times during our trip.  Seriously though I am having fun trying to learn the language and I definitely have memorized the important stuff like, aqua (water), cervaza (beer), vino (needs no translation), desayuno (breakfast), almuerzo (lunch), and cena (dinner), and the all important - where is the restroom "donde estan los servivios por favor"  (because this apparently more refined than say el bano- room that has a bathtub) and hablas ingles?

I think we are set! If you have any hot tips- kindly lay them on me within the next few days.  Hasta la vista baby!




8 comments:

  1. Tulum is my ultimate FAVORITE place ever. We were there the first time 10 years ago and stayed at an Eco Resort, Azulik. No electricity but there was hot water. It was the most beautiful Palapa ever! The 2nd time we went we took The Boy and we stopped in Valladolid for some dinner before heading on to Chichen Itza. We stayed in the hotel right next door in the middle of the jungle in some beautiful cabins. After the tour we went to Tulum but stopped in Coba for lunch. InTulum, it had changed as there were a lot more tourists than 4 years prior but it was still not like a resort feel. We stayed that time at La Luna and loved it!

    I could give you all sorts of advice but the only one that has stuck with me from our first trip was "La Cuenta por favor." which means "The check please." You'll use it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I am looking forward to Tulum - I think it will be a great place to read, meditate, and just hang out. Thanks for the tip about the check please. b

      Delete
  2. I got nothing for you, never been to Mexico but if you happen upon a 5* resort please take note and report back. It sounds like a very busy holiday indeed but you are a busy mind and that needs occupying.
    I guess the waterproof map will come in handy in amongst all the Corona. And do they really drink it with lime, enquiring minds want to know!
    Will you blog from the Mexican road? I think you should, it would be a good travel diary. Then I could keep an eye on you as could Thomas Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to drink BEER! yuck. I just learned that for Mr. L. Marguerites
      that's more my style. Ya I'll probably weight nine million pounds by the time I get back what with the enchiladas, burritos and marguerites.

      Delete
  3. I once told a guy "Nuestro elefante no es blanco" and got punched in the nose. DO YA MAYAN?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. “…Beautiful scenery, cultural input, physical activity and down time.” – These are really the things that everyone look for in a vacation. It’s good to know that you will be able to have them on your vacation. And with your rental car, going from one place to another will be easier.

    Michaele @ PayLessCar.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! Everything I had hoped for and more!

      Delete