Sunday 12 January 2014

Note to Self -Unclutter Your World (Start with your Desk)

As a lawyer, I, and my clients, have to sign a vast amount of documents- Transfers, Charges, Acknowledgements, Last Wills and Testaments, Powers of Attorneys, Directions, yada yada yada, caveat emptor, fiduciary, res ipsa loquitur.. er...you know- a whole host of very important and interesting legal stuff. So as a lawyer I need to make sure that I have good working pens on hand. These are the pens that I have on my desk that I can easily access when I need them:


Yessir yessir- 2 (bags) full- easy to grab
This is the inside of the top drawer of my desk:

Pens yes and also bracelets, bandaids, tide to go, comb, white out, bank receipt, elastics, pencils, note about hotel in Sicily(hot tip from a client), stress release fish, highlighter, stapler remover, post it notes, napkin, scissors, gum wrappers
Do you mind? I'm not even kidding.

Ya well if I believed in New Years Resolutions- (although maybe it is too late- it is Jan. 12 for crying out loud) one would be to clean out my drawer.  Happily, I don't, so I that's why I have stuff in there from over a year ago.  As Frances Ha, in the quirky, life affirming Noah Baumbach film of the same name, says "I'm not messy- I'm busy." Whatever.

But seriously, every once in a while I think it is a good idea to unclutter your world- it tidies your mind and makes your environment more workable and pleasant. It does take energy and I have to admit that sometimes I have to bootstrap it but I always feel satisfied, even proud afterwards. I don't have to resolve to do it- I just have to do it........... tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Good on you! My officer drawer ALWAYS looked like that. Never bothered me - is that a personality flaw on my part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well let's see if I get to it. I am feeling super tired today and the clutter is "inside' my desk and so not visible- o my already with the excuses.

      Delete
  2. I decluterred my office last time when I had to move, to have less stuff to pack and unpack :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes so much- why move old gum sappers..

      Delete
    2. Sorry Stephanie-I thought I had said-

      Makes so much "sense". why move old gum gum wrappers- Yeesh- can I blame this all on auto correct- don't think so...

      Delete
  3. This post burns my eyes! Can you please edit your pen holder situation down to one and then purchase all matching pens, that would be so calming for you to see on your desk while you're doing all of that upsetting legal stuff. As far as that drawer, do you have a stress-release fish because the drawer is so stressful? Empty the entire thing and start again with a tidy drawer organizer. Then everything will have a place. Except don't add the Tide thing back in, that's full of toxic chemicals you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purchase matching pens? Are you kidding? That would never last. Plus I KNEW you were going to say that about the Tide to Go. I guess you are saying the Tide has to go.

      Delete
    2. Nice! Tide goes in; Tide goes out.

      Delete
    3. Good one Thomas! You are the King of puns.

      Delete
    4. I love Dani radical solutions though...

      Delete