Wednesday 20 February 2013

Sally (Season 2)





Just when you thought Sally had wrapped up for good, along comes more Sally. If you are anything like Mr. Lovely you will skip this post decrying "I can't take any more of Sally". But if you are like me you will see it through to the bitter end. I mean how hard is it to read one page (a page with pictures yet).

Before the family had evolved to it current enlightened state of ignoring Sally there was a time during which Sally was still the object of disdain.(If I was the emoticon type, I would put a sad face here). It was during this time that one of Sally eyes mysteriously "fell" off. Luckily I found it under one of the sofa cushions ( along with some other misplaced items of no consequence).






I had my own suspicions about what happened and not being one to keep silent, I let the alleged perpetrator know that I suspected foul play. Oh yes, there was the expected denial and feigned indignation and I never did get to the bottom of it but I think we both know what happened, right Phil?

At any rate, the sewing of an eye is way beyond my capabilities (and yes I know what you are thinking- it is really just the sewing of a button, but sadly, that too, is way beyond my capabilities) and so I had to make the trip to R my trusted and lovely Hungarian seamstress to perform this delicate operation. I asked Mr. Lovely to take Sally in and he brought her other eye in a baggy to make sure that the right button got sewed on. But when I went to pick Sally up -quelle horreur- R had sewn on a matching eye. When I asked R what happened to the eye in the baggy she said that she thought we had made a mistake and brought in wrong button because it didn't match so she put on one that she thought matched better.NOOOOOOOOO!!!




Not wanting to hurt R's feelings, I took Sally home, knowing that there was no way on earth that Sally could live with this affront to her good looks.  Within the week I  had importuned my good friend Laura P to sew on one new properly mismatched eye that restored Sally to her former beauty. If only all cosmetic surgery could be repaired this easily cause bad cosmetic surgery is the worst- do you mind!

A few months later we were going to "the country" for a one week vacation. As there were different schedules we went in two cars, Mr. Lovely, Al , Ed and me going up first, Meg and Phil to follow the next day.

Meg and Phil arrived and began unpacking the car when Phil began to relay this very disturbing story. He said that Meg was in the car and had left her water bottle inside and so he went back in the house to get it and then heard a scurrying sound and a slamming of a car door. He didn't think anything at the time, but when they were halfway up north and stopped for gas he looked in the back seat and saw this:


Sally, that scamp, not wanting to be left behind had hopped a ride. Too bad she forgot her swimming trunks as it got pretty hot and she had nothing to swim in. C'est la vie when you are living fast and loose.

10 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten this entire episode, that Sally, she does live fast and loose and good thing as she has to contend with all of that hostility!
    What about the time you left her behind in the country for a whole week with the bananas! There could easily be lots more Sally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that was Sally we left behind- it was the bananas and something else- though I can't remember what- shoes maybe- some s word.

      Delete
  2. I need to find myself a "Sally". She would be a sense of unending amusement for my whole family. I love that photo of her in the seatbelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sally is a hoot and we all do get a kick out of her. When Phil opened the car door and revealed Sally in the seatbelt I laughed until I cried. And I like that everybody has bought into the fun.

      Delete
  3. Go Sally! I like her eyes just as they are and I am happy that you had the good sense, despite the best efforts of your seamstress (that is KILLING me BTW!) to do Sally wrong! Go Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are obviously a woman of very good taste who appreciates beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now we all know your secrets underneath your couch cushion... you DO play the pan flute. Also, you could have a "and I don't mind that" bit in each post, or maybe just every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This entire post is hilarious. I love the cushion treasures too. I think cushion treasures really tell a lot about a person - you're right TW.

    I must say, that ride up north to the country was the scariest of my life. Sally has the most remarkable ability to stare in a way that seems obvious she's thinking and that at any moment she could be up to no good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your Sally gal sure gets around, lucky doll. Sure cottage country has never been the same since portent of her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Sally is a go getter. She has been more sedentary as of late but it is winter!

    ReplyDelete