Tuesday 12 February 2013

Running on Garbage Days


 

I used to have all these  running  (more like non- running) rules. Like I wouldn’t run in the rain, and I wouldn’t run in the snow; if it was minus 14 degrees or below it was too cold; if it was after 7:00 a.m. it was too late; if my back hurt from a restless sleep- faggetaboutit; if it was dark out- too dangerous ( and people couldn’t see my stylin jogging duds -see below) and of course , I would never ever run on  garbage day -it was too unsightly ( and  in the summer on a hot day- too smelly)- do you mind!



So I had nicely reduced my 5 day a week running routine into a modest 1 or 2  days and guess what? quelle surprise -my butt was getting bigger and bigger and I was getting crabbier ( more even than normal) and that wasn't good for anyone, right Mr. Lovely? So now I have no rules except for common sense and I will eat them in a train and I will eat them on a plane, I will eat them here or there- I will eat them anywhere (no wrong rhyme but you get the idea). So today I did run in the dark, in the rain and snow, with a sore back and it was garbage day. AND it was a great run!

Just so you know (I'm sure everybody does) there are a couple of things you need for running- first off  appropriate clothing for the weather:

In the winter for outside running (which is the only type I do because, hey you are outside and the fresh air is fantastic) you need long pants and a head band or hat {both will give you hat head but headband head is slightly better} note matching purple stripe with matching inside of headband ( ya you can’t see it but it is there dammit) ), a running top- {note predominantly blue track pants with blue top} and a hoodie {black hoodie matched with outside of the headband) topped off by yer pull back gloves.  They don't match ( yet- I'm working on it) but you need them cause you need the fingers to change the music on your nano if say Alexisonfire comes up on the running tunes downloaded by your “then” headbanger daughter ( she's not anymore- now she is a hippy and listens to hippy music) but say that happens, you need to move that music on and you need those fingerless gloves!


If you are truly fashion conscious like yours truly, you will want a  colour coordinated sports bra- this one is the TA TA Tamer from Lululemon (true  story). Ya how many "trues" does one short sentence need? I'm thinking at least 3.


You will also need something to listen to- I used to listen to the CBC but the reception was bad and there would be  static, buzzing and white noise and it was all very annoying and not at all informative. I now listen to a running playlist- rockin the faster tunes that motivate me to keep going for the long long long 5k run!

So rock or run on- it's an awesome way to start your day, truly!






22 comments:

  1. Hi B lovely-No running for me, but I salute you. I wrangle two Australian Shepherds for a walk, and seldom do I get out of it. I do admire your running gear though. One's get up must be coordinated at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I was actually being a bit ironic about my get up- it is a mish mash of old & some borrowed clothes so I was kidding around.

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe you ran on garbage day. Not only that but the coldest and most hideous garbage day ever with all of the ugly blue bags falling off the snow drifts etc!
    Excellent running outfit, everyone's going to want a fancy lululemon bra now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty hideous but it wasn't cold and that helped! You know the running outfit is a joke,no? But good to accentuate the positive.

      Delete
  3. i run in the dark so no one sees my unmatched outfits. i look like i collided with a christmas tree and easter bunny. but i am out running so there is that.
    welcome to the blog world. i'm here b/c dani sent me.:)

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't matter what you wear just as long as you are there. (I wonder if Mama Cass ever ran?)

      Delete
  4. Well done you! Blovely to true about coming up with "don't run" days excuses! I am doing much better since I got good gloves with those "tech flip" fingers, or if they are grungy, hiding, I just wear flip-top glittens. Have grabbed the hubs iPod by mistake tho', to unhappy skipped-beat results.
    BTW, re. Netflix US with more shows and series inc. new House of Cards, you can get an American IP address for either $10 a month or about $60 p/a and watch the "better" version (with first month free trial if you just want to do a few watching weekends).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gutting Netflix with my one month free trial, we are in front of the goggle box for hours every night - must try to get a hobby.

      Delete
    2. What are these "tech flip" fingers you speak of? I do like to have the latest gear so am interested to know more.

      Delete
  5. Wow Blovely! I'm stoked that, not only did you break all of your running rules but you enjoyed it in the end. Whenever I see someone running in the dark/cold/garbage I always think to myself "That person is crazy". But you're awesome. Crazy awesome! Great blog. Can't wait for the next post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pip.Sometimes I think that too-"this is nuts" where is my warm bed but then I remember, no this is a good thing!

      Delete
  6. Awesome B lovely! I too have many excuses to not run outside and stick to the physical and olfactory safety of the gym, but your motivation is inspirational. I have a couple suggestions for your running playlist: "Love you Madly" by Cake and "1940" by the Submarines. I promise neither are Alexisonfire-esque. Can't wait to find out what you mind next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I'm not so sure about the olfactory safety of the gym- I'm sniffed many "foot" smell at the gym. Thanks for the song suggestions-I will add these to my running list.

      Delete
  7. Best blog title ever! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has thought up these same excuses for not running. Garbage day being the number 1 reason any time of the year. ick. Saw something on pinterest recently--"someone busier than you is out running". Sobering thought for a very lazy busy person like me. Think I'll wait until the slippery rough ice is gone...

    welcome to blog land B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle. True about the ice-I fell right on my keester the day before garbage day. I'm too old for that and my body is still a bit sore.

      Delete
  8. The ta ta tamer - must check that out, I wear two sports bras when I workout!
    Can't believe you run int he snow, I do not run for anything, not buses, not trains, to be honest I'll barely walk either. Yes - that lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear 2 sports bras but seriously the TA TA tamer changed all that. They come in a wide range of colours too. In fact I'm due for a new one soon!

      Delete
  9. Very fun post. I sometimes run in the dark with a headlamp.
    I have been slacking off with the ice and all. This is very good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The headlamp is a good idea. I run on the road in the dark and wonder about my visibility sometimes- black hoodie in the dark- hmmm- maybe not so bright?

      Delete
    2. The headlamp is for me to see, not many streetlights in my neighborhood. I am on a sidewalk though.
      I meant to ask about the cardigan in your about me photo.
      Which one is it?

      Delete
  10. I am going to check it out too - I am like Tabs - two sports bras! I have never been a runner, don't know why. I may sign up for a clinic and see if I like it!

    And good on your for the self-discipline. After a good 12 months of overwork, I am just now getting back into shape. It is shocking how quickly it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you don't like running on account of the ta tas. Just saying cause that held me back too so you never know- the ta ta tamer could be the answer.

      Delete