Tuesday 6 May 2014

The "Hound" and the Hat

My excellent friend, Dani, recently bought a puppy, a goldendoodle, (a poodle golden retriever mix) to be exact. I have watched this doggy grow over the last couple of months from a cute, sweet, sedate mass of golden curls to a woofing pony, with golden curls and the growing aint over yet.  I bet around now Dani is wishing she got the mini version.  I know Dani has posted about "Scout" in her most excellent blog DaniBP Mop Philosopher but I'm here to tell you the truth. While it is true that she is adorable and yes, quite styling-

Scout a la ascot- tres shi shi

and very friendly, the real truth is that she is a bit of a menace.  Her main hangout is in the BP kitchen, segregated from the rest of the house by means of a closed door on one side and a wooden security gate at the other doorway. When I come over for a catch-up and GOW (glass of wine) with Dani, Scout knows I'm there and within 30 seconds of my arrival, there is this loud pounding and thrashing at the kitchen door. She is hurling herself into the door and barking incessantly. Yeesh - take er easy Scout! Dani tells me I must go and say hello but frankly I'm a little ascared- cause when I walk around to the gate Scout is up on her hind legs, lunging at the gate in a frantic effort to get at me. Not to hurt me but just to lick and "welcome" me, all this, amidst non-stop barking, frenetic crashing at the gate, and energetic tail wagging. Hi Scout- errr- can you just pass out the wine? Oh well, she is a puppy. You know how puppies are. She reminds me of that wonderful comedian, Gilda Radner in her skit on SNL where she plays the young hyperactive child, Judy Miller upstairs in her bedroom and bored while her mom is playing bridge downstairs so she pretends she is a TV show host for her toy audience. The skit is hilarious for Radner portrayal of hyper activeness and includes several instances of her smashing into the door (see link below- the whole skit is pretty funny but the door thumping is at 3:38 minutes in)

https://screen.yahoo.com/judy-miller-show-000000950.html

So that is Scout in human terms.

Last week, while sharing a meal with the BPs I looked down to see Scout chowing down on a dinner of her own, my brand new Brora hat! Do you mind Scout! This is what the hat looked like before dinner:
And I look like this while wearing the hat
and this is what the hat looked like after dinner:


Those "crumbs" are the pompom
and this is what I now look like wearing the new "hobo" hat:

Man, I wish I had my brora hat back
A good hat can make a big difference.

Immediately and graciously, Dani offered to replace the hat, which I accepted- seeing as I didn't want to look like a hobo for this relentless cold spell and all next winter. That Scout - what a rascal- eh Dani?

PS I know, I know she is not a "hound" but I just liked that title.

13 comments:

  1. this is like the scandal insider of scout's life! I remember well having a puppy (though mine was only tiny because of his breed) - it can be overhwelming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are a lot of work. We had a border collie cross and she was a huge menace- she would eat everything and shed all over the place. She was very protective of our family and a great companion.

      Delete
  2. Gasp, it was your hat? Oh get her into the Dunce's corner!
    She does look marvellous there, GOW - excellent new acronym

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I think I need a BOW not just a GOW.
      That doesn't make me an alcoholic does it?

      Delete
  3. I just noticed the Brora ship confirmation for your hat today, phew I was getting a little worried that they were all out. That would be bad because there's no fixing your hobo hat. Who knew a Brora hat could be destroyed so quickly. We thought moths were the #1 enemy of our Brora but no we have a much bigger menace in Scout!
    Good thing she's so furry cute and I love her is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore my hobo hat cause I was sooooo cold on a walk and our friend Gord M saw me and I told him the sad story and he said "I like it better!"
      He would! It's a big world out there.

      Delete
  4. Dani is obviously a soft touch and I know Mr BP does tree hugging law but I would have put together a crack defense team on Scout's behalf as I know how sneaky lawyers can be. Was this entrapment?...check 'alleged' Brora hat for gravy stains and then for poly fibers to see if it wasn't some cheapy, that b lovely was looking to upgrade.
    I'll swing by the BP's for GOW and to talk libel strategies with Scout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was the real deal my firend. I was sad I tell you. Even G- one of the BP kids said sure you can replace the hat but what about lovey's pain and suffering? Ah- that's my girl!

      Delete
  5. I love that hat! Such a nice friend, Dani, to replace it. Pompoms do seem like a delicious treat - can't blame Scout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I can only imagine what it will be like when you get a dog- that dog will be spoiled rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello B,

    Well, we British are made of stern stuff and we should certainly be delighted to be invited round to the BP house. We have no Brora hats and, at the risk of being accused of being shallow, we would do almost anything for a BP dinner and a glass of wine. Rampant dogs hold no fear for us.......after all, we did create an Empire once upon a time........and the BP menus which have been posted in the past look absolutely delicious. In addition, darling D has been known to have a tipple of the Hungarian wine. What is not to like?

    As for Scout.......well, those soulful eyes just melt our hearts. Adorable!

    And, it is thanks to Darling D that we have found our way here. We have so enjoyed our stay and look forward to many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it's true Dani does russle up a fine meal and is a refined hostess and generous server of booze- I agree what's not to like? Thanks- I hope you will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Dani's blog all the time and we too have a pup---he will be two years old in November. Recently we had a dinner party for eight. What a nightmare! Our pup barked incessantly! Next time he will be in his crate in our bathroom! Pups are great--but take some training and management. NO ONE leaves shoes unattended at our house. Some day that will change. I love Dani's pup--but if she invites us for dinner, I will be careful with my knitted cap!

    ReplyDelete